Monday, March 22, 2010

Periodicals

I have relied on the EBSCO databases for most of my research papers. It takes me a very long time to find just the right article that I want to use; sometimes I feel very overwhelmed in the searching process. Since I have attended the ERAC training session I, I have learned to use the limiters, such as Full text, Peer reviewed, and recent dates, more efficiently to reduce the number of results. I can use Ebsco through my school library, UBC library, and the public library, so it is easily accessible. I have not searched under the Education heading before, but I definitely will for the remainder of my courses. The Education heading is going to make the subjects I am looking for so much more relevant to my studies. I look forward to using this in the near future.

I checked out all the other index interfaces and typed various topics in each one using the advanced search option. Wow, just amazing when one takes the time to play around. Imagine the time saved with saving notes, emailing, printing, and citing icons. Very impressive.

I typed in nutrition and nutrients because a Foods class is in the library studying this topic right now. There are many articles at various levels of difficulty. Students might find the level of difficulty of some of the articles a little overwhelming; however, with practice will find the article that will suit their purpose. I also pulled books and reference material for this topic.

I am very excited to show this resource to the students. Teachers and parents are equally awed by the vast amount of information included in these indexes. I feel that the research process has improved to a new level at the school.

1 comment:

  1. Yes- it takes time and patience to sift through the wealth of information in databases. It makes you realize how many skills the students are using at once: they need to be able to scan information and evaluate if it's relevant. It takes practice and I don't think they can ever get enough of it!!

    ReplyDelete