Saturday, January 23, 2010

Riedling's Approach

I do not see any problems with Riedling's approach to the Evaluation Process; the criteria is laid out in a logical format and is a useful guide when considering the selection of resources. However, I have a couple of questions. By reputation, does she mean, for example, a publisher, such as World Book compared to a more obscure publisher? As for education of an author, I tell the students when searching Electronic sites that just because the author is identified as a Dr., do not be fooled by biases or advertisements.In response to some of the discussion concerning time and cost, collaboration with teachers and asking questions will help save time. For example, we just received a box from KnowBuddy. There are some very good books concerning the drama curriculum. The books satisfy all Riedling's criteria. However, I do not want to purchase the books if the teacher is not going to use them. It is handy to have the books in your hands to preview; otherwise, I sent an email to the teacher with the suggested resource and a link to Amazon or Chapters. I just saved a lot of money on Tourism books that the teacher said she did not know if she would use, and after checking the collection, we have a lot of books that she can use for her course. Also, I check the table of contents of the books in the preview boxes; if the topics deal mostly with American content that is not relevant to the students lives, I do not waste too much more time perusing the book. I also tell teachers that I am open to suggestions for purchasing resources. I always check the reviews. BookList is one very good resource for checking reviews.To save money, I do not purchase videos or material that is at the District Resource Centre. Sharing resources between schools also saves money.

No comments:

Post a Comment